We are an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page, at no extra cost for the buyer. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Palladium 500 is made of 50% palladium, while 950 is 95% rich in palladium. These palladium alloys carry the jewelry stamps 500 and 950 respectively for identification.
Palladium is a popular jewelry metal, especially for rings.
With bright whiteness, it is highly attractive to many jewelry lovers.
Palladium rings have many qualities that make them good choices for wedding rings.
But, different alloys may lead to confusion.
Palladium 500 vs 950 is a frequent comparison.
They are both lightweight which makes it a joy put on.
Additionally, palladium does not fade or wear.
It offers high quality and high durability for long term use.
These qualities make palladium an ideal candidate for engagement rings which are going to be worn forever.
To shed more light at the subject and help you make the right decision, let’s take a closer look at Palladium 500 and 950.
What is Palladium?
Palladium is a precious metal which has a silvery-white color.
Its atomic number is 46.
Palladium belongs to the platinum group of metals with rhodium and few other metals.
It is named after an asteroid named Pallas.
Palladium is mined in countries such as Zimbabwe, South Africa, Russia, the United States and Canada.
In its purest form, Palladium is too soft to be used in jewelry, just like gold or silver.
We need to increase the hardness and durability for long term use.
Palladium 500 and Palladium 950 are most common examples of these alloys.
Their purity is lower than 100% pure palladium yet they are more suitable for jewelry.
What Is Palladium 500 And 950?
Just as in 925 silver, which is also known as sterling silver, the numbers 500 and 950 show the purity in thousands of palladium in the alloy.
Palladium 950 means that the jewelry is made of 95% Palladium, while the remaining 5% is made of other metals.
In other words, it has 950 parts in thousand Palladium.
On the other side, Palladium 500 is made up of 50% Palladium, while the rest 50% is made up of mainly silver.
Jewelry made of Palladium 950 is hypoallergenic.
This means that the Palladium 950 is not likely to cause an allergy.
This makes it a good choice for wedding bands.
However, Palladium 500, which is 50% made of silver, can often cause allergies in those that are highly sensitive.
This is because silver may contain traces of nickel.
Even if it is in small amounts, it may trigger allergies in highly sensitive skin types.
Palladium 950 is more expensive than 500
Palladium is a high-priced metal, so a smaller price tag on jewelry made of palladium 500 should be expected.
Palladium 950 has a lot higher price tag than the Palladium 500, which admittedly, is a difference that can often sway decisions.
Always check for the hallmark.
Normally, the type of Palladium is engraved on the inner part of the ring or wedding band.
So don’t forget to look for the mark before finalizing your decision.
Palladium 500 is less durable than Palladium 950.
This means it will need more care to reduce wear.
Palladium 950 is harder than lower purity alloy.
It is more prone to scratches.
Gemstones make a large difference.
There are lots of gems with big price gaps.
If you want a sizable natural diamond on your ring, you should be ready to pay much more than a small moissanite palladium ring.
Brand and design will factor themselves in the price.
Take into account that if you ever want to resell your jewelry piece, a designer made branded item may command a higher price tag in the market.
After all, popularity has a value.
You may want to check this post for a comparison between palladium and white gold.
The Verdict: Palladium 500 or 950?
Palladium 500 and 950 have similar beautiful appearances yet they both have pros and cons.
As palladium belongs to the platinum group metals, it is not surprising that its alloys have high durability. However, palladium 500 is lighter than its big brother.
As half of it is made of silver, which has nearly one-tenth of the density of palladium, this is expected.
This advantage in weight shows itself in cost too. Palladium 500 jewelry will have a lower price tag than 950 jewelry.
While it is more affordable, it is less durable. Palladium 950 jewelry shows much more resistance to scratches.
Another big advantage of palladium 950 jewelry is that they are hypoallergenic.
On the other side, palladium 500 pieces, at times, can carry traces of allergenic metals, which may cause irritation on sensitive skin.
Naturally, if allergies are a concern, and if it fits in your budget, you should move towards palladium 950.
Where to buy palladium jewelry?
You can check designs and prices of palladium jewelry on Amazon.